The PM Routine

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The pm routine is just as important as the am routine but can be harder to stick to. Long days (and nights) can make you less motivated to wash your face etc before you go to bed; however it is SO important that you do. Your skin does much of its repair work while you're sleeping and if you still have make up and grime on your face from the day before this process is inhibited. Not washing your face etc before bed also contributes to break outs, dullness, and premature aging. If that's not motivating, I don't know what is.

1. Cleanse

 Just like most mornings, I wash my face with Fresh Soy Cleanser before bed. In the evenings I usually wash once, rinse and repeat - the first time takes off any make-up, while the second time takes off any remaining dirt. The soy cleanser is very gentle and you only need a small amount, so I don't go through it as quickly as you'd imagine. I am currently saving my pennies for a Clarisonic Opal, but in the meantime I'm using the Olay version a few nights a week.

2. Tone

I also use a few spritz of the Caudalie Beauty Elixer  in the evenings as well as in the mornings. It adds moisture back to the skin and helps tighten pores.

3. Treat

Serums are just as important in the evening as they are in the morning and can be more targeted since you don't have to worry about sun and pollution protection.  I use Lancome Gentrifique youth activating serum, followed by a retinol. Philosophy makes a great option as does RoC. I'm currently using this RoC serum so I still need to follow with a moisturizer. Some moisturizers contain retinol, so you may not need to add more moisture. Another thing to remember about retinol is that it's a strong exfoliant and increases sun sensitivity - so it is best to use just at night and make sure to use a sunscreen in the mornings.

Also, in the instance of a blemish, I spot treat with this Murad treatment.

Tip: When applying serums go thinest to thickest so that they can be absorbed on top of one another. Your order may differ from mine. 

4. Eye Cream

Yep, you need an eye cream for night just like during the day. The skin around your eyes is much more fragile than on the rest of your face and needs special attention day or night. I use the same one for both, my favorites are: Kiehls Cryste Marine Firming Eye Treatment and Philosophy's Hope In A Tube


5. Mositurize

If you're not using a retinol moisturizer then you may need this final step. Don't go to bed with dry skin - dry skin is way more prone to fine lines. I'm currently using the Claudalie Vinoperfect Cell Renewal Night Cream that helps to improve cell turnover while you sleep.

Tip: When you apply your face creams remember to use an upward motion, just don't pull your skin down - gravity does that enough as it is. :-) Also, don't forget about your neck and décolletage, treat them as you do your face - you can also rub excess serum / cream on to your hands (day or night), there's a reason why they say hands reveal a person's age. 


So there you go, that's my routine. Please keep in mind that what works for me might not be the perfect system for you, but once you find what works - stick to it! It's boring, but consistency is effective.

PS: if you are having trouble finding what you need, I get 99.9% of my products from Sephora.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts - it seriously makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tickle My Fancy All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger